Disarming the citizenry ranks among the first steps that authoritative regimes take to squash freedom, censor speech, and leave law-abiding people at the government’s mercy. That’s precisely what has happened in California.
The historical and current examples are disturbing. Hitler imposed a firearm registry that was later used to disarm Jews and political opponents. In China, the communists took away the means of citizens to oppose them. The recent freedom protests and street clashes in Hong Kong have already been met with gunfire by government agents. Pro-democracy groups are unable to defend themselves. In Venezuela, dictator Nicolás Maduro refuses to surrender power. With the military at his back, citizens cannot effect political change and oust the corrupt strongman. If one thing remains certain, without the Second Amendment right to bear arms, freedom in the U.S. would eventually fall.
In California, the growth of anti-American left-wing radicalism has led to the most sweeping suppression of Second Amendments rights to date. Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom proudly signed legislation that allows the state to effectively strip even law-abiding citizens of self-defense firearms. Powerful left-wing politicians have leveraged the victims of mentally-deranged shooters in other states to take away guns.
“Gun violence is an epidemic in this country, one that’s been enflamed by the inaction of politicians in Washington,” Newsom said. “While Washington has refused to act on even the most basic gun safety reforms, California is once again leading the nation in passing meaningful gun safety reforms.”
So crushing are the new laws to constitutionally-guaranteed rights that even the usually left-leaning American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) opposes the regulations. Among the smattering of gun rights restrictions is an expansion of so-called “red flag” policies that allow the government to seize someone’s firearms if a restraining order is acquired. California’s courts are more than accommodating when it comes to doling out restraining orders.
The ACLU reportedly opposed the recent Red Flag laws, asserting it “poses a significant threat to civil liberties” because it goes into effect without due process. Also, officials making the decision to strip someone of their firearms often “lack the relationship or skills required to make an appropriate assessment,” the ACLU stated.
Rarely does the accused person have a chance to defend themselves at a hearing before restraining orders are issued. The expanded Red Flag laws now make gun confiscation actionable against any citizen. The National Rifle Association (NRA) pointed out that California’s determination to take away guns from law-abiding citizens will have no effect on violent criminals.
“These new laws pile onto the hundreds of existing laws and, like the others, will be equally ignored by criminals,” the NRA stated. “(We) will not back down while we explore further action on these new laws.”
The six bills signed into law by the liberal California governor will have a profound negative impact on everyday people’s ability to defend themselves. They will also increase the state’s power to take away guns as its left-leaning policy-makers see fit.
These are changes gun owners in the Golden State can expect:
- Assembly Bill 12:This portion of the anti-firearm laws increases the state’s ability to use Red Flag policies to strip non-criminals of guns for up to five years. Previous California law allowed a one-year confiscation. The expanded gun-grab does not necessarily require someone ever is convicted of a crime.
- Assembly Bill 61:This measure expands the list of people who can file a gun-confiscation restraining order. The Red Flag restraining orders do not require a criminal conviction or mental health issue. Basically, if even a co-worker says they are afraid of you, the government can take away your guns for five years.
- Assembly Bill 879:The implication of this measure is that it creates a backdoor gun registry. Under the new law, only licensed dealers can sell any parts of a firearm or ammunition. This means the government can trace who purchases a firearm through gun dealer records going forward.
- Assembly Bill 893:This makes it unlawful to sell firearms at the Del Mar fairground of the 22nd District Agricultural Association. It’s an extension of gun-free zones.
- Assembly Bill 1669:This measure aims at levying hefty taxes on firearm purchases in an effort to make them unaffordable. It basically cuts off low-income Americans from being able to defend themselves.
- Senate Bill 61:This measure prevents adults from 18-20 years old from buying a semi-automatic hunting rifle.
The California governor appears quite proud of his assault on the U.S. Constitution. His recent remarks show that he believes no one should be able to own a firearm in America.
“California has outperformed the rest of the nation, because of our gun safety laws, in reducing the gun murder rate substantially compared to the national reduction,” Newsom claimed. “No state does it as well or comprehensively as the state of California, and we still have a long way to go.”
That “long way to go” involves seizing every firearm an American citizen owns, bar none.